Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:11 pm
i lost the password for administrator.how can i get back or reset the password?
- Posts: 1107
- Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:31 am
11.1.11 I forgot my VPN Server's administrator password.
If you have forgotten the administrator password for your VPN Server, refer to 3.3 VPN Server Administration and delete the following lines from the VPN Server configuration file with a text editor:
uint64 AutoDeleteCheckDiskFreeSpaceMin 104857600
uint AutoSaveConfigSpan 30
string CipherName RC4-MD5
bool DisableDosProction false
byte HashedPassword ******* (hashed password data)
As written above, by deleting the [HashedPassword] field under the [ServerConfiguration] node you can reset the VPN Server password to an empty password.
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:57 pm
I've just tried this method.As written above, by deleting the [HashedPassword] field under the [ServerConfiguration] node you can reset the VPN Server password to an empty password.
1. You can NOT edit the file while the service is running.
So you have to stop the service as long as you copy the modified file there, overwriting the old one.
2. Under windows: This file is under \Program Files ... folder, so you need admin rights.
A simple "notepad" will not be able to directly save. (Notepad++ can! )
3. I've experienced the following:
- after deleting that 1 line,
]- the whole config has been reset to default !!!
- I've lost all HUBs and all setup configuration.
- Had to restore from backup.
For the record:
- No I did not hurt the config file structure.
- Yes, I'm a programmer myself with 30+ y. of experience
The possible Problem / Solution was:
- I've realized there are 2 service running: a 4.x stable version + the 5.01 developer version
- maybe that caused the problem, because:
- after I've stopped the dev. service, the method WORKED!
- Posts: 269
- Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:10 pm