Get the static IP of server B instead of the static IP of server A

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
NabiKAZ

Get the static IP of server B instead of the static IP of server A

Post by NabiKAZ » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:21 am

I have two servers with similar softether settings. A and B
I want when I connect to server A with OpenVPN, the user will get the static IP of server B instead of the static IP of A that he normally gets.
For this purpose, how should the configuration and type of communication between the two servers be done?
I've worked with CasCade a bit but I'm not sure if that's what it's for and has this capability.

solo

Re: Get the static IP of server B instead of the static IP of server A

Post by solo » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:31 am

You need to re-state what you want to get because the reality is that static IPs are assigned whereas dynamic IPs are given. Furthermore, if you have a multi-server setup and desire complex routing then you'd better off with an OpenVPN server for the client.

NabiKAZ

Post by NabiKAZ » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks for reply.
Let me change things a bit.
I actually don't care if server A or B is assigned an IP, my main goal is to have traffic flow between the two.
It means that when we connect to server A, the traffic of server B should be used.

solo

Post by solo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 pm

OK, install SE server on A (presumably without a bridge nor SecureNAT) and install SE bridge on B with a cascade to the A's hub.

NabiKAZ

Post by NabiKAZ » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:34 am

Thankful.
But if it is the case that anyone who has an account on server A can setup an SE bridge (B) and set his account in Cascade to connect to server A and all the traffic of network A will come to him! While this does not make sense.
Maybe I didn't understand your idea correctly.

solo

Post by solo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:16 pm

Look at this picture then imagine that the server has no local bridge, got it?

Wait, dwell on it a bit longer...

...now your dream comes true - "when we connect to server A, the traffic of server B should be used"

NabiKAZ

Post by NabiKAZ » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:17 pm

Let me put the problem in a different way from the beginning.

My server A is a SE server with a number of users connecting to it. But the network of this server has blocked access to some sites such as youtube.com.
On the other hand, I have a server B located in another country where youtube.com is available. But server B itself is blocked for the same users. It means that it cannot be directly connected to it. But there is access from server A to server B and vice versa.
Now my problem is how can I make it possible for users connecting to server A to open youtube.com? I can probably use server B as an intermediary. but how?

solo

Post by solo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:53 am

Let me put the solution in a different way - keep in mind the above-linked picture.

As long as New York's hub is "isolated" (no local bridge nor SecNAT) anyone connecting to the SE server will get an IP of Tokyo if Tokyo's hub has internet connection. Consider a cascade connection itself as completely independent of whatever happens between the hubs. More info on L2 Bridge.

NabiKAZ

Post by NabiKAZ » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am

In my scenario, I had to connect to server A. But I think in your scenario, we should have connected to server B, which was my point of confusion. Of course, this is not so important now.

I followed your instructions and this link more carefully:
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... Bridge_VPN

I now have a main A server with SE server and I disabled SecureNAT and I have no Bridge and no Cascade connection.

Then I installed only the SE bridge version on server B. Then I connected a user with appropriate access to server A using Cascade. Of course, SecureNAT is enabled on server B.
h5jOuwrlPZ.png

And in Local Bridge Settings, I selected the current Virtual Hub and the current LAN Adapter on the same server B and clicked Create Local Bridge, which was set to Operating status.
vpnsmgr_x64_7FRMVsx6Rz.png

Now when I try to connect to server B (to check my account from server A and get traffic and possibly its IP) I get the following error:

Error (Error Code 33): Unsupported.
wzKQoWS49C.png

Do you have any idea where I was wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

solo

Post by solo » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:57 am

NabiKAZ wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am
In my scenario, I had to connect to server A. But I think in your scenario, we should have connected to server B...
No, re-read my post, all clients connect to A (the server) as you originally stipulated.

"Then I connected a user with appropriate access to server A using Cascade."

A cascade is created from B to A. Nothing to do with users.

"Of course, SecureNAT is enabled on server B."

No, SecureNAT and BRIDGE are mutually exclusive. Again, refer to the NY/Tokyo diagram -no SecureNAT there.

"Now when I try to connect to server B... I get the following error: Error (Error Code 33): Unsupported."

Oh please, again "re-read my post, all clients connect to A (the server)"

"Do you have any idea where I was wrong?"

Yes, you've changed your objectives and applied an unworkable config.