l2tp got security error ubuntu after 30 min

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
boby_turk

l2tp got security error ubuntu after 30 min

Post by boby_turk » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:02 pm

hi everyone , i hav a unusual problem !!

i have 2 softether DE in use them with cascade connection for tunneling .

when i start the first side softether the l2tp connection connect and work without any problem but after 30 minute every clients get security error and cant connect till restart the server again !! but openvpn and sstp connections still working fine . just l2tp work for about 30 minutes or even less then no one cant connect with this protocole

shakibamoshiri

Re: l2tp got security error ubuntu after 30 min

Post by shakibamoshiri » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:57 pm

boby_turk wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:02 pm
hi everyone , i hav a unusual problem !!

i have 2 softether DE in use them with cascade connection for tunneling .

when i start the first side softether the l2tp connection connect and work without any problem but after 30 minute every clients get security error and cant connect till restart the server again !! but openvpn and sstp connections still working fine . just l2tp work for about 30 minutes or even less then no one cant connect with this protocole
I did not face such an issue, but for troubleshooting you can do the following (assuming you have issue with hop-1 server)

Test (1) on you local machine
- install both SE stable and SE developer version and make them as the hop-1 (CC to your hop-2)
- then with your phone L2TP connect to your home-server and observe if there is any issue or no
- if there was not any failure and everything was as expected go to next

Test (2) on your hop-1 server
- instead of SE server DE version use/configure Stable version
- connect to SE server using L2TP and check it
- if failures do not happen with SE server Stable so we can say it was DE version problem
- if failures continued go to next

Test (3) change your hop-1 server location (DataCenter)
- run Test (2)

Most I doubt your hop-1 network but it is better to test.

boby_turk

Post by boby_turk » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:09 pm

shakibamoshiri wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:57 pm

I did not face such an issue, but for troubleshooting you can do the following (assuming you have issue with hop-1 server)

Test (1) on you local machine
- install both SE stable and SE developer version and make them as the hop-1 (CC to your hop-2)
- then with your phone L2TP connect to your home-server and observe if there is any issue or no
- if there was not any failure and everything was as expected go to next

Test (2) on your hop-1 server
- instead of SE server DE version use/configure Stable version
- connect to SE server using L2TP and check it
- if failures do not happen with SE server Stable so we can say it was DE version problem
- if failures continued go to next

Test (3) change your hop-1 server location (DataCenter)
- run Test (2)

Most I doubt your hop-1 network but it is better to test.

in the case hop1 is stable edition and second hop is DE or SE has no problem and working well . but i cant use SE because even the hop2 is DE version but hop1 is SE then in case off sessions become more than 50-55 users got authentication error again like the both side was SE edition !
then i have to use both side of hop DE version . i dont change anything but when the both hops are DE version has same problem . i checked in 2 data center

l2tp connect and work properly when server restarts but after a while got security error till server restart again .

and its not virtual hub config because when did offline on online again the virtual hub problem didnt solve and just when restart softether vpn server or ubuntu server problem solved for minutes

shakibamoshiri

Post by shakibamoshiri » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:33 am

boby_turk wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:09 pm
in the case hop1 is stable edition and second hop is DE or SE has no problem and working well . but i cant use SE because even the hop2 is DE version but hop1 is SE then in case off sessions become more than 50-55 users got authentication error again like the both side was SE edition !
then i have to use both side of hop DE version . i dont change anything but when the both hops are DE version has same problem . i checked in 2 data center

l2tp connect and work properly when server restarts but after a while got security error till server restart again .

and its not virtual hub config because when did offline on online again the virtual hub problem didnt solve and just when restart softether vpn server or ubuntu server problem solved for minutes
As we all know there are bugs in Stable version, which targeted in Developer version.
One other thing I can suggest is to switch between Developer versions since actually we have two Developer versions
1. Latest (=on master) https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN
- clone the repository and build
2. Release 5.02 https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEth ... /5.02.5180
- download the release and build

These two are not the same, so if you built from mater, then try building release 5.02, and if you built from release now switch to mater.
If you check both version with "vpncmd" it tells the version is "5.02" but there are more features in master than release (e.g WireGuard is available on master not release)

if this test did not help I think you should raise an issue on Github page