IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Wubian

IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

Post by Wubian » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:10 am

Hello

Sorry for my poor English.

based on softether.org information there is a technologies included in SE called "IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling" :
You can create an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel easily with SoftEther VPN. An IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel encapsulates IPv6 packets into IPv4 packets, allowing IPv6 packets to be sent between LANs when traffic must pass through areas that only allow IPv4 packets to pass through.
so I'm wondering how can I do that? Is there any article or tutorial about this topic? i already search but can't find any useful or tutorial article about this topic in google.com

I thank you in advanced for any information you can provide me about this topic.
11.2.4 Using an IPv6 over IPv4 Tunnel
You can create an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel easily with SoftEther VPN. An IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel encapsulates IPv6 packets into IPv4 packets, allowing IPv6 packets to be sent between LANs when traffic must pass through areas that only allow IPv4 packets to pass through.

Many older IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling technologies could not pass through NATs or firewalls. However, SoftEther VPN encapsulates all network traffic at the layer 2 (Ethernet) level. This allows even IPv6 packets to be processed as VPN traffic.

Therefore, you can use SoftEther VPN to provide IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling solutions for nearly every type of network environment.
Here is some information about my servers:

I have 3 server.
server 1 is my domestic server(Hop1) and placed behind censorship firewall. Client connect to this server through OCSERV.
and then this server connect to hop2 with SE cascading solution.

server 2(hop 2) is in Hetzner and have both IPV4 and IPV6.
server 3(hop 3) is in hetzner and have both IPv4 and IPV6. this server didn't connect to any server yet but I already test following configuration to just for test and the result is they are working in IPV4 mode.

Hop1 ---connect with IPv4 to ---> hop 2 ---- connect with ipv6 to ---> hop 3.

but when I check hop 1 client IP address it shows Hop 3 IPV4.

Regards

shakibamoshiri

Re: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

Post by shakibamoshiri » Mon May 01, 2023 9:13 am

The document link does not give further information or implementation details , but ChatGPT gives the same link with this explanation
According to the SoftEther VPN Projecthttps://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manual/B._Tr ... nformation, you can create an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel easily with SoftEther VPN. An IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel encapsulates IPv6 packets into IPv4 packets, allowing IPv6 packets to be sent between LANs when traffic must pass through areas that only allow IPv4 packets to pass through.

Many older IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling technologies could not pass through NATs or firewalls. However, SoftEther VPN encapsulates all network traffic at the layer 2 (Ethernet) level. This allows even IPv6 packets to be processed as VPN traffic.

Therefore, you can use SoftEther VPN to provide IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling solutions for nearly every type of network environment.

To set up an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel with SoftEther VPN, you need to have two VPN servers that support both IPv4 and IPv6, and a VPN client that supports both protocols as well. You also need to enable the SecureNAT function on both VPN servers and assign an IPv6 address range for each virtual hub.

The basic steps are as follows:

• On the first VPN server (Server A), create a virtual hub (Hub A) and enable SecureNAT. Configure the SecureNAT settings to assign an IPv6 address range for Hub A, such as fd00:1::/64.

• On the second VPN server (Server B), create a virtual hub (Hub B) and enable SecureNAT. Configure the SecureNAT settings to assign an IPv6 address range for Hub B, such as fd00:2::/64.

• On Server A, create a cascade connection to Server B using the Hub A and Hub B names. Enable the bridge function for the cascade connection.

• On Server B, create a cascade connection to Server A using the Hub B and Hub A names. Enable the bridge function for the cascade connection.

• On the VPN client, create a VPN connection to either Server A or Server B using any protocol that supports both IPv4 and IPv6, such as L2TP/IPsec or SSTP. Join either Hub A or Hub B depending on which server you connect to.

• On the VPN client, configure your network settings to obtain an IPv6 address automatically from the SecureNAT DHCP server. You should get an address from the corresponding IPv6 range of the hub you joined.

• Test your connectivity by pinging or accessing an IPv6 address on the other hub. For example, if you joined Hub A, you can ping fd00:2::1, which is the default gateway address of Hub B.

You have successfully created an IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel with SoftEther VPN.

shakibamoshiri

Re: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling

Post by shakibamoshiri » Mon May 01, 2023 1:52 pm

Wubian wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:10 am
Hop1 ---connect with IPv4 to ---> hop 2 ---- connect with ipv6 to ---> hop 3.

but when I check hop 1 client IP address it shows Hop 3 IPV4.
What do you expect to get ?
What do you want to implement with 3 hops ?