L2TP / IPSec - difference bwtween using SE Client & Windows integrated

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
deb_user

L2TP / IPSec - difference bwtween using SE Client & Windows integrated

Post by deb_user » Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am

Hello,

I'm successfully using SoftEther Server on a Linux (Debian) machine. Configured a Virtual Hub the following way

- L2TP over IPSec (with PSK)
- SecureNAT
- Virtual DHCP Server

This way all connected clients are able to communicate to each other, but not to the LAN side, which is exactly what I want.
Now there are some questions regarding the client connections. When using the Windows (10) integrated VPN client, it's possible to connect to the VPN server via L2TP / IPSec without any issue. BUT the clients don't get the correct subnet mask definied in the Virtual DHCP Server of my Virtual Hub.
When using the SoftEther CPN Client Manager, they receive the correct subnet mask.

Me and my clients are using this Server primarily for playing older LAN games together, most of them work fine when using the Windows integrated client to connect to the VPN, but some do ONLY work if we are all using the SE VPN Client Manager (with a virtual network adapter).

Now my question is: What's the difference between using the Windows (10) integrated VPN client compared to the Soft Ether VPN Client Manager to connect to my L2TP / IPSec Virtual Hub?

solo

Re: L2TP / IPSec - difference bwtween using SE Client & Windows integrated

Post by solo » Wed May 22, 2024 10:42 am

deb_user wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:59 am
What's the difference between using the Windows (10) integrated VPN client compared to the Soft Ether VPN Client Manager to connect to my L2TP / IPSec Virtual Hub?
SE client is L2 type while Win L2TP client is actually L3.

deb_user

Post by deb_user » Wed May 22, 2024 12:04 pm

L2TP which stands for "Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol" really is layer 3 when using the Windows integrated VPN client?

deb_user

Post by deb_user » Wed May 22, 2024 12:59 pm

Thank you, it's now clear to me, so I'll stay with my config above and just use the SE VPN Client Manager, which works flawlessly.