VPN Server Manager for Linux?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
Simeonof

VPN Server Manager for Linux?

Post by Simeonof » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:35 am

Are there any plans to port Server Manager on Linux (or make it web-based)? I think the idea behind SoftEtherVPN is great, what's missing (at least this is what is important for us) is the possibility to run and manage all components in a completely non-MS environment.

inten

Re: VPN Server Manager for Linux?

Post by inten » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Simeonof

Post by Simeonof » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 pm

cool! I'll give it a try!

brianmullan

Post by brianmullan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:24 pm

inten wrote:
> WinE? http://vpnhpanel.com/sf/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11

Given the increasing use of Linux worldwide having the VPN Server Manager only available for Windows seems like a limitation for the future of SoftEther VPN.

Over 80% of ALL Cloud Servers are linux and that has been growing. Is the Server Manager open source so developers could take a look at porting it to linux?

qupfer

Post by qupfer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

brianmullan wrote:

> Over 80% of ALL Cloud Servers are linux and that has been growing. Is the Server
> Manager open source so developers could take a look at porting it to linux?

99,9% of ALL Linux Servers doesn't run a graphical interface and most admins prefer a scriptable commandline-toll instead of a heavy GUI.
And if you really want a GUI, just use a Windows-PC (maybe as VM) and configure it remotly.
Also I think, a OSX Gui will have a much larger target audience than a linux GUI.

brianmullan

Post by brianmullan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:11 pm

I'd have to disagree. Openstack, OpenDaylight, vmware, cloudstack, are just a few major cloud projects that have implemented a GUI configuration mgr.

Almost all are lightweight utilizing JSON etc to interact with a defined API but all also offer a CLI based interface as well for those wanting to go that route or to enable scripting of large deployments. Same is true for AWS, Rackspace or Digital Ocean.

If a GUI wasn't a useful tool I'd have to wonder why there is even a Windows GUI..yes?