Browser pop ups when connecting to VPN Gate servers

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
pipis

Browser pop ups when connecting to VPN Gate servers

Post by pipis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello,
Sometimes when I connect to servers on VPN Gate, windows open in my default browser for strange websites. This only happens with United States servers. Is this normal? Is this safe?

pipis

Re: Browser pop ups when connecting to VPN Gate servers

Post by pipis » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:55 am

Bumping, this is very concerning

fenice

Post by fenice » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 am

The obviously simple answer (at least to me) is to not use any of those servers that cause you a problem. Is this only a specific server or all of them in the US? Do you not have any security in your browser such as uBlock Origin or Ghostery (I'm using firefox) to block any untrustworthy sites or pop-ups? Yes, it should be a concern that random pop-up sites are getting loaded in your browser.
Regards

Bill

pipis

Post by pipis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks Bill. I don't keep track of servers and generally just use the one that is good at the time. It's very rare that SoftEther tries to load a webpage in my browser even when using US servers, but when it does, none of my tools block it (I assume they are just not designed to handle out-of-browser popups). A couple of times the websites seemed to be managed by or otherwise affiliated with University of Tsukuba, so I do not think it is isolated to certain servers and is rather an issue with the software or plugin as a whole.

pipis

Post by pipis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:18 am

Also I am worried about the application remaining active even when the window is closed.

pipis

Post by pipis » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 am

Got another pop-up just now connecting to the UK, took me to https://www.vpngate.net/en/

fenice

Post by fenice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 am

pipis wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 am
Got another pop-up just now connecting to the UK, took me to https://www.vpngate.net/en/
That's just a list of the VPNgate servers and there's nothing wrong with that site.
Regards

Bill

pipis

Post by pipis » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am

Oh no, I know that. I was just pointing out that the pop-ups are likely to be affiliated with University of Tsukuba because of that. I have gotten pop-ups to other, stranger websites before. I will record them if I get any.

fenice

Post by fenice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 am

That's good to know. :) Yes, if you do see anything odd then grab the url if you can and post it here and we can take a look. If this continues and you're really uncomfortable with it then it may be worth opening a bug report (or RFE) on github to see if it really is innocuous or a potential problem
Regards

Bill

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 am

VPN Gate server volunteer can alternate the traffic.
There is a possibility that the volunteer leads users to a malicious site.

pipis

Post by pipis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:01 am

Thanks thisjun. I am also noticing SoftEther forces itself to run in the background, and will even start up again by itself if forced to shut down. If I change the startup conditions in Services then SoftEther breaks permanently and can only be fixed by reinstall. What does this mean?

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 am

Could you explain more about "SoftEther breaks"?