Diagnosing slow SMB transfer via SoftEther.

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
przemo-c

Diagnosing slow SMB transfer via SoftEther.

Post by przemo-c » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 am

Until recently we had a very slow connection about 6Mbps and everything worked fine. Then we've upgraded to 50Mbps. The speed rose to only 35Mbps. Then we upgraded to 200MBps and the speed largely remained the same.

This is mostly one direction data transfer. And when i test speed via builtin traffic client and traffic server via VPN I get around 130Mbps and around 200Mbps outside of VPN. But I don't nearly reach those speeds when transferring even big files via SMB. While locally I can get up to 1500Mbps (with multiple 1000Mbps computers downloading).

Any way I can get about checking what's the issue here? Latency is pretty good for a WAN connection around 8ms.

Both sides use SoftetherClient. Clients are Linux based and downloading. SMB server is on the network of SoftEther Server(Windows) network.

thisjun

Re: Diagnosing slow SMB transfer via SoftEther.

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 am

SMB work efficiently with low latency like as under 0.1 ms.
Please try another protocol.

przemo-c

Post by przemo-c » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 am

I've since tried rsync client to rsync server and it still resulted in nearly identical speeds.
I've eliminated HDD issues as I've started transferring ramdisk to ramdisk and this results in the same slow speed.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 am

Please try protocols that optimized for the Internet like as HTTP or FTP.