Redundancy of liaison

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
SteveM

Redundancy of liaison

Post by SteveM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello,

I would like to migrate from VPN to my customers. From openvpn to Softether.

So usually, my clients have dedicated boxes for our feeds. Therefore if a box breaks down, their internet box for example takes over. To do this there exists on openvpn, the line "remote @IP". I would have thought to enter two hostnames on the client softether configurations but apparently this is impossible.
You could call it redundancy of liaison, could you help me?

cedar
Site Admin

Re: Redundancy of liaison

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 am

You can use DDNS hostname as a destination server.
DDNS host name is resolved to the IP address of the server presenting the correct key.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:30 am

Hello,

I don’t understand how this could help me solve my problem. In my openvpn conf file, I first contact my vpn1.X.fr en and if it is unavailable I try to contact vpn2.X.fr. Of course, whether it is on a dedicated stream box or whether it is an internet box. It is this redundancy that I am looking for, because I want to switch my customers from one ip address to the other if one of them is unavailable (like the "remote @Ip or hostname" on openvpn). I want to be able to enter 2 different adress ip in a configuration file (my main server and my secondary/backup server).

I don’t know if I’ve been clear, but feel free to expand on your answers or ask me questions. Thank you

cedar
Site Admin

Post by cedar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:15 am

There is no way to fulfill your requirements exactly.
In the event of a failure, you need to specify different connection settings on the client side or switch the server explicitly.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 am

I would have liked to see if we could specify several addresses IP/hostname in a vpn client softether configuration.That way if one grave takes over