Wake on Lan over SSTP VPN on a different subnet

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
whyyouwannaknow

Wake on Lan over SSTP VPN on a different subnet

Post by whyyouwannaknow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Hello everyone,

So this is my network setup. I have a SSTP and L2TP/IPsec VPN (both working fine) to my home network.
What I want to do, is to use a program that can wake on lan my computer (only one specific computer) over the VPN connection that works either over my SSTP or L2TP/IPsec VPN.
My VPN DHCP is giving an IP under let's say 192.168.30.XXX/24 and the PC that I want to wake on lan is under the subnet 192.168.0.0/24.
Under the same subnet (192.168.0.0/24) the wake on lan works fine, but of course through the VPN it doesn't work.
How can I make sure that my magic packet gets"broadcasted" to my other subnet and wake up my PC?

My VPN is installed on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ under the latest Raspbian OS.

Any help is welcome!

PS: If my PC is up and running, of course I can ping this PC via the VPN subnet (which means, yes under the 192.168.30.0/24 subnet I can ping my PC 192.168.0.10/24 if it's started).

whyyouwannaknow

Re: Wake on Lan over SSTP VPN on a different subnet

Post by whyyouwannaknow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Problem solved!

I just needed to use a program called "MC-WOL" that you can download for free on Internet. This program support the broadcast parameter to the IP broadcast address of the subnetwork.