Understanding L3 Routing - Broadcasts over WAN possible?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
augur

Understanding L3 Routing - Broadcasts over WAN possible?

Post by augur » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:40 am

Hi all.

I setup successfully a L3 routing like described in the manual but got one question to L3 routing. Technically everything is fine but alinged with the diagram below is it possible that broadcasts are transferred to the virtual L3 switch in "Tokyo"? As in the branches are connected with bridging to the switch will broadcasts reach it? Like to optimize the usage of internet usage and also understand it.

Regards,
Nils

centeredki69

Re: Understanding L3 Routing - Broadcasts over WAN possible?

Post by centeredki69 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:14 pm

If set up properly all 3 networks (locations) should be able to communicate with each other.

augur

Post by augur » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:56 am

Hi,

technically my own VPN network is running fine. But I like to understand the behaviour.

I am thinking about the broadcasts that perhaps send through internet to the L3 switch which is located in Tokyo. Is there any traffic generated on internet connection? As the branches are connected as a bridge it should be like this.

Reason: I ask the question because I have two sites (private, not commercial) and with Alexa, NAS, APs... round about 25 IP hosts on one site and 10 on the second. I like to reduce internet traffic in the best possible way.

Cheers,
Nils

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:35 am

How about creating the virtual L3 switch on each site?

augur

Post by augur » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am

I tried it but simply does not know how to set it up as I have to create a bridge between the switch and second switch.

I also found some filter setting in the user specifications but it seems that not all broadcasts are filtered.

thisjun

Post by thisjun » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 am

Please try to create two virtual hubs and one virtual L3 switch.
Then, connect virtual hubs in each site with cascade connection.