NAT Traverse OK/!OK

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
ZEE

NAT Traverse OK/!OK

Post by ZEE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 pm

The objective is connect from a remote PC
to a private IP device inside a LAN
behind a router with NAPT (the usual ISP supplied routers)
( LAN IP(s) are in range 192.168.1.0/24 or 10.0.0.0/8 )
(access from a external client to a internal machine that has the SE-Hub/Bridge)
+
When connecting using *.vpnazure.net DDNS it works
I can do NAT Traverse over a ISP router
(only using SSTP VPN in port 443/HTTPS)
but the connection is rather slow...
+
When connecting using *.softether.net DDNS
I can´t connect with neither protocol (SSTP:443/SE-VPN:555/OpenVPN/...)
nothing seems to work...
+
+
My preference would be
to connect using the SE-VPN Protocol over port 5555/TCP
+
Anybody cares to give a explanation on how to this...
and if possible gave some technical insights
over why VPNAzure works but SoftEther.net don´t...
(I´m not talking about the DDNS, that works OK)

Tested with Thomson, Hitron, Asus, TP-link, etc. router
Thanks, ZEE

centeredki69

Re: NAT Traverse OK/!OK

Post by centeredki69 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 pm

ZEE - "behind a router with NAPT (the usual ISP supplied routers)" & then "Tested with Thomson, Hitron, Asus, TP-link, etc. router".
---Are you double NATed meaning ISP router & then one of the Thomson, Hitron, Asus, TP-link at the server location? If so it will be hard for SE to transverse a double NAT
ZEE-I can´t connect with neither protocol (SSTP:443/SE-VPN:555/OpenVPN/...)
-----The NAT-traversal will only work using the SE protocol or the SSTP:443 with Azure.NEt enabled. All other standard protocols will need port forwarding.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 am

ZEE- Anybody cares to give a explanation on how to this...and if possible gave some technical insights over why VPNAzure works but SoftEther.net don't...----------Yes it should be possible.
---With VPNAZURE your SE Server establishes and maintains a connection from inside your firewall out to a relay server hosted on MS Azure by the SE/Un of Tsukuba developers for FREE. When a client connects using the VPNAzure it is connecting to the relay server which then send only the authentication info to your SE server and once authentication is complete a direct connection is made from the client to the SE server so all payload data is direct and not through the Azure server. The softEther.net is a direct Dynamic DNS

kls

Post by kls » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 am

centeredki69 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 pm
Are you double NATed meaning ISP router & then one of the Thomson, Hitron, Asus, TP-link at the server location? If so it will be hard for SE to transverse a double NAT
I know this is very old thread, but it is the only one mentioning double NAT. Is it true that SE won't work with double NAT without going through VPNAzure?

ZEE

Post by ZEE » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:05 pm

"---Are you double NATed " ... "it will be hard for SE to transverse a double NAT"
"---The NAT-traversal will only work using the SE protocol or the SSTP:443 with Azure.NEt enabled... other standard protocols will need port forwarding..."

Thanks @centeredki69 for this information...

In that case I was not double-natted... the problem was an very-agressive firewall... solved, OK!

about the connection mechanics via azure.net,,, it confirmed my suspections...
usually I avoid forwarding ports... and the vpnazure.net over mpx/443 works fine...

Thanks again!

ZEE

Post by ZEE » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 pm

"---With VPNAZURE ... establishes connection from inside your firewall ... to a relay server ... MS Azure "
"...relay server ... send only the authentication info to your SE server ... "
"...once authentication complete a direct connection is made from the client to the SE server
"...so all payload data is DIRECT and not through the Azure server
"...The softEther.net is a direct DDNS"

Thank you for this clarification...
very direct and informative...
and confirms what I thought/probed the mechanism was...

;-)