Why is my connection so slow?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
vpnrookie

Why is my connection so slow?

Post by vpnrookie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am

Team,

For of all thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I've got a VPN server configured and working fine. I use the SoftEther client. My Server is in Germany and I somewhere in Middle East. Latency is around 140ms. I get about 10mbps down and 9mbps up. My home network is 50mbps and my Server Bandwidth is unmetered 100Mbps(UP and Down)

I've disabled UDP acceleration on the client and Encryption is set to 128 AES. I've tried all sorts of config and I'm not even close to half the bandwidth the server is showing. I'm using secure NAT which some say is slow. How can I not use Secure NAT ? I mean how will the client receive an IP address. The server is running Win 2012 R2. I've disabled Nat-T and tried as well. Nothing seems to help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!!!

centeredki69

Re: Why is my connection so slow?

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 am

Is your the SE server on a cloud hosted Virtual Machine, a personally hosted Virtual Machine or physical hardware?

If you server is on a on a cloud hosted Virtual Machine you most likely will have to continue to use SecureNAT. If it is on a personally hosted Virtual Machine you can disable SecureNAT and use a "local Bridge". but you will need to enable permiscuous mode/ MAC spoofing ( HyperV). If on physical hardware you can disable SecureNAT and use a "local Bridge". With "local Bridge" the Client will receive a remote IP address from the same DHCP server the SE server itself receives and IP address.

centeredki69

Re: Why is my connection so slow?

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 am

With the "local bridge" working please re-enable UDP acceleration and see if you speed improves. How are you testing you speed?