SoftEther SecureNAT no client DNS

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
rubinho

SoftEther SecureNAT no client DNS

Post by rubinho » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi

I have set-up SoftEther server running on an Ubuntu (disco) AWS EC2 instance. I am using SecureNAT. My clients connect and get DHCP settings (including DNS servers) from the VPN server however they are unable to resolve any hosts on DNS.

In SecureNAT settings I have tried the default DNS (i.e. the SecureNAT "router" IP) and also Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).

The clients and the VPN server are able to ping these addresses but DNS requests always time out even from nslookup. The AWS instance itself is able to resolve DNS requests and in fact runs its own DNS server on port 53.

I'm sure there is something simple I am missing but I cannot figure it out. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Edit to add: I also tried pushing static routes through the VPN gateway to the DNS servers but this didn't work either.

rubinho

Re: SoftEther SecureNAT no client DNS

Post by rubinho » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:27 pm

OK I cracked it, I had to add an incoming rule on the AWS instance security group to TCP/UDP port 53 (DNS) to the VPN subnet 192.168.30.0/24. Please consider this closed!