On the Differentiation between LAN and WAN

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
puweinan

On the Differentiation between LAN and WAN

Post by puweinan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:39 am

Hello:
VPN connects, Cannot correctly distinguish LAN and Internet. Accessing all resources is jumped through VPN. I want it to access the Internet through the local network and the company's LAN through VPN. How to get it. Thank you!

centeredki69

Re: On the Differentiation between LAN and WAN

Post by centeredki69 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 pm

please increase the """metric value""" of the virtual NIC.

Open network adapters choose the " VPN client adapter" Right mouse, choose properties > tcp/ip V4 > properties > advanced > uncheck " automatic metric" > set metric to " 5 " > ok >ok > ok

puweinan

Post by puweinan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:33 am

thank u! but I found that with this setup, all traffic still passes through VPN, without any distinction at all.I found it possible to manually add static routing implementations to local PCs. VPN also has the function of splitting tunnels, but in the open source version, this function can not be used properly.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 am

Go back into network adapters go into the properties of the network adapter you use to connect to your local network. (Ethernet, Wi-Fi).
Look under the advanced and make sure the automatic metric is unchecked and put a "1" for the metric.
Right mouse, choose properties > tcp/ip V4 > properties > advanced > uncheck " automatic metric" > set metric to " 1 " > ok >ok > ok

So the "native network adapter" is "1" and the "VPN virtual adapter" is set to "5".

The metric sets the priority of which network settings to use over the other. The lower the number the higher the priority.

puweinan

Post by puweinan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:02 am

Thank u!I get it。
But i found that vpn_v4.3 cann't support push routing。This feature is not supported. It has not yet been implemented on the open source version of Softether VPN。Can u tell me why? Thank u very much!

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:30 pm

>>Thank u!I get it。<
Good, but did you follow the instructions in the ""second"" post?
> >But i found that vpn_v4.3 cann't support push routing。This feature is not supported. It has not yet been implemented on the open source version of Softether VPN。
Where did you get that information?

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Could you please give us some information in regard to your network setup?
What OS is your "SE-Server" installed on ? Is it physical hardware or Virtual? Are you using "SecureNAT or Local Bridge"? Where is it installed (office, home, Cloud based)?
Are you using the "SE-CLient" or some other client? What OS is it installed on? What is it's location when your trying to connect to the SE-Server?

To verify. You are trying to access your companies network resources at a remote location via the VPN tunnel. However, you would like your standard internet traffic (browsing, searching, youtube, facebook) to use your LOCAL Gateway and NOT go through the VPN tunnel out the REMOTE (company) gateway?

puweinan

Post by puweinan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:59 am

First of all, thank you very much for your follow-up on this issue.
Good,I' get it follow the instructions in the ""second"" post. Thank u very much!
I just want to ask at the moment. That vpn_v4.3 cann't support push routing.
I think if VPN can achieve this function, you can no longer need the client to configure the network adapter. How do u see?

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:10 pm

>I just want to ask at the moment. That vpn_v4.3 cann't support push routing.

The SE-VPN Server v4.3 DOES support and can achieve push static routing. It will work if set up properly.

>I think if VPN can achieve this function, you can no longer need the client to configure the network adapter. How do u see?
Yes, if set up properly you would not need the client to configure the network adapter.