can't connect with windows built-in VPN feature

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
sjef

can't connect with windows built-in VPN feature

Post by sjef » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 am

Hi guys,

i got a problem with making connection to my softether server via the windows 10 built-in VPN function, i got the same on a mac device and android.
However if i use the OpenVPN client on the mobile phone and the softether VPN client manager it all works fine.

What i have configured so far is this:
I set up a Pre-Shared key and enabled only L2TP server function (L2TP over IPsec) Raw is not enabled.
Enabled SecureNAT
Checked the box from Enable VPN azure (my VM runs on azure, status is connected)
The openVPN MS-SSTP box is enabled with the default port.
encryption method is default.
In the local bridge settings i have enabled the "ethernet microsoft corp card"

In windows i have checked if the IPsec and IKE authIP IPsec services are running, i added softether program to the firewall to allow inbound connections.

When i try to connect to my server via the built-in VPN function on windows i get a few errors and these are:

"A Connection attempt failed because the party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

or:

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer"

I tried connecting with the built-in VPN client from windows with L2TP + Pre-shared key.
I tried connecting with SSTP.
both have require encryption on, and i check the boxes from "challenge handshake authentication protocol (CHAP) + Microsoft CHAP version 2 (MS-CHAP v2)

Can anybody help me where i need to look to solve this issue? i really have no clue how to resolve this...

Thanks for your time!

centeredki69

Re: can't connect with windows built-in VPN feature

Post by centeredki69 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Did you open the correct ports on the "nsg" ?
If not please set inbound security rules in the Azure "nsg" (network security group) for ports 500-UDP & 4500-UDP

sjef

Post by sjef » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 am

centeredki69 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Did you open the correct ports on the "nsg" ?
If not please set inbound security rules in the Azure "nsg" (network security group) for ports 500-UDP & 4500-UDP
I also have set these configurations in the nsg / Inbound security rules. I also opened the default port there in case that was needed "1194".
I forgot to mention that in the post, I'm sorry about that.

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Please verify the Pre-shared is entered correctly on the Windows CLIENT configuration along with the username and password. I get the same errors you listed if I enter the key incorrectly on my L2tp connection.

sjef

Post by sjef » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:33 am

centeredki69 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:08 pm
Please verify the Pre-shared is entered correctly on the Windows CLIENT configuration along with the username and password. I get the same errors you listed if I enter the key incorrectly on my L2tp connection.
I also Verified this, i even changed the Pre-shared key to something very simple as "welcome" and it still did not work.
My username and password are the same i use on the softether vpn client manager. (that one works just fine)

sjef

Post by sjef » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:04 pm

I want to add i resolved the issue. i just reinstalled the softether client and it works now.
thanks for all your effort, i think i maybe overlooked on something minor and i set it right this time.