Maximum speed capped at around 30 Mbps

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
sethash

Maximum speed capped at around 30 Mbps

Post by sethash » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi all,

My softether server is sitting on a Internet with 100 Mbps download and 34 Mbps upload
My client is sitting on a network 100/100 Mbps
another client sitting on a network 100/50 Mbps

The maximum speed that clients could get was around 30 Mbps. I have tried L2TP, Open VPN and Softether client and result is the same.

Is there anything I can change to reach maximum speed ?

Thanks

OliverTejada

Re: Maximum speed capped at around 30 Mbps

Post by OliverTejada » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:44 pm

There is always a minimal margin of loss across different VPN protocols. If you're using SecureNAT it will just get worse.

What is your current VPN setup?

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm

What is your Maximum speed expectations?

The max download speed your clients will ever achieve is the SE-Server locations upload speed which as you stated is 34 Mbps. If you are only losing 4 Mbps you are right on target.
The max upload speed the clients will ever get is the SE-Servers Download speed @ 100 Mbps and the Clients upload speed @ 100 Mbps or 50 Mbps.

However, you will never achieve the max as there is always some loss due to the encryption.

sethash

Post by sethash » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks for your replays.

Since I have got 100/100 on client side and 100/35 on server side, I was hoping to get at least approx 70/20 Mbps.

I not using secure NAT and have tried turning off encryption but not much change.

When I run speed test, it looks like it wants to push and go higher but something stops it. I have tried Softether client, Open VPN and L2TP connections with the same result.

I have access to 200/100 MBPS on client side but results remain the same...

If I run the test whilst on the same physical network using SE-lient software , the results are amazing with almost minimal loss. The problem is only when I connect via internet and over NAT.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

centeredki69

Post by centeredki69 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:26 am

Yes, what you are missing is that your server can only send data to your VPN clients at 35Mbps max. Like I stated in the previous post the clients download speed while connected to the VPN is the SE-server locations upload speed cap. Which is 35Mbps. The Server can receive data at 100Mbps but can only relay / send that data to the VPN clients at the slower 35Mbps. Even though the client location can receive a 100Mbs of data at a time it doesn't matter as the server is limited to sending/uploading at the 35Mbps cap. These speeds are based on the options provided by the ISP. You could put your server at one of the faster 100/100 location. However the server may be needed at its present location due it providing local files or resources. The reason you get full speed while at the same location is because it is downloading the data at 100Mbps just like all devices at that location. The SE server never has to send it out its gateway via the internet at the 35Mbps cap because it's local. Based on your present setup as you discribed. Your VPN clients will get 35Mbps Down / 100Mbps up with a little lose due to encryption.

sethash

Post by sethash » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 am

Now I understand what you mean. Spot on mate. It makes absolute sens.

Really appreciate your time looking into this.