No internet access when using OpenVPN client

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
lauronaj

No internet access when using OpenVPN client

Post by lauronaj » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:57 am

I have a Sofether server and everything is working fine when connecting via L2tp on mobile and Softether client on windows. But when I use openvpn client on windows and use the generated ovpn file from SE it connects but there's no internet access.

B0GDI

Re: No internet access when using OpenVPN client

Post by B0GDI » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:11 am

Same here. Both L2TP and Softether clients are able to connect, get an IP and tunnel Internet traffic. OpenVPN however is also able to connect and get an IP but no Internet traffic passes through.

Anyone discovered why this might happen?

B0GDI

Post by B0GDI » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Any clues?

B0GDI

Post by B0GDI » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:39 am

Up

Bairs

Post by Bairs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:16 pm

Perhaps the problem is with the gateway itself in the subnet mask?

audian_benp

Post by audian_benp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:37 pm

bouncing this up to the top. We have set up SoftEther at many of our clients and recently we started getting reports that the clients (mac mostly) do not get internet nor intranet when connecting via OpenVPN using the generated files. I have confirmed with OpenVPN connect on my windows system. Can ping 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, but cannot ping any domain names like yahoo.com or google.com. and cannot ping the gateway for the softether server, nor the site's gateway nor any devices connected locally, nor the intranet at the site. Connect via SoftEther VPN client everything works well.

Attached are a couple screen shots of the IPConfig /all from both the OpenVPN and SoftEther clients connected to the same site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

audian_benp

Post by audian_benp » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Ok. To add more details, I have been using the OpenVPN Connect application and had been working for our various clients until recently. And in my trials and lots of errors, I installed the OpenVPN 2.4.9 from the community downloads on openvpn.net. Imported the same ovnp files used in OpenVPN Connect and I am now able to get all traffic to work (internal and external traffic). Will be testing this more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krish123

Post by krish123 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:42 am

Exactly. Both L2TP and Softether customers can associate, get an IP and passage Internet traffic. OpenVPN, be that as it may, is additionally ready to associate and get an IP yet no Internet traffic goes through.

andrewfer000

Post by andrewfer000 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:45 am

When I tested the issue was with OpenVPN connect itself. I used a thrid party OpenVPN client and there was no issues. This is only for OpenVPN connect on Windows. Android's OpenVPN Connect works great.

Afakename

Post by Afakename » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi, on your local PC client, open Network and sharing center

1. Right click on the VPN adapter, select properties
2. Open properties on TCP/IP V4
3. Click Advanced
4. Click to place a check mark on Auto Metric
5. OK all the way out
6. Disconnect the VPN
7. Reconnect the VPN
8. Enjoy!