I have been annoyed for years at the CLI for connecting to my works VPN. It's very functional and performant but clunky to set up. I have tried for a few years to use AI to make something but it wasn't good enough. Well now it is. I am on Mint Linux (LMDE 7) and have used ChatGPT Pro to create a python gui that wraps around the cli tools. It works great for me in my specific use case but no guarantees. There are some little fiddly things I had to do around routs upon exiting the VPN connection. If you are on lmde7 and brave try it as is or if you are a python person review the code. I get nothing out of this but maybe an attaboy at some point. Im sharing because it makes my life easier and hope to help someone else.
I used the MIT license so anyone can do anything they want with it. If someone has good python skills and wants to make it better then great. Feel free to report issue but I am not a python developer (yet) so its unlikely I can help any more than asking AI to fix it.
its on github under /reiters/TunnelLoom. I dont know if I'm allow to share links so I put it that way.
-k
Linux Client GUI
-
daser
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:03 am
Re: Linux Client GUI
This sounds like a genuinely useful project, especially for people who find the command-line VPN setup frustrating. Wrapping the existing CLI tools in a simple Python GUI could make everyday connections much easier. I also like that you shared it under the MIT license, allowing others to improve the project. The routing issues sound worth documenting for anyone testing it on LMDE 7.
