Public ip address not changing

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
whiggs

Public ip address not changing

Post by whiggs » Sat May 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello all. So I have a softether vpn server setup on a azure vm I spun up, and I am able to successfully connect to it via the softether vpn client manager using a created virtual network adapter. However, I noticed the strangest thing. I noticed that my public ip address did not change when I connected to the azure vpn server, which shouldn't be the case. I will be the first person to say that my knowledge concerning advanced networking topics is fairly limited, but I did setup and was able to connect to the vpn server instance I installed on the azure vm, so why is my internet traffic not being forwarded through the vpn server? Why does my client's public ip remain unchanged when I connect to the vpn server? I would greatly appreciate any info on this. Thank you

centeredki69

Re: Public ip address not changing

Post by centeredki69 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello,

Although the client shows connected You most likely are not getting a remote LAN IP address from the server. When you connect you should see a popup
Captureccc.JPG
On the Server, did you enable secureNAT? If not please enable it. I prefer using the "Local Bridge" option however this will not function correctly as promiscuous mode /Mac spoofing is not allowed on most VPS services like Azure.

https://www.softether.org/index.php?tit ... CP_Servers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whiggs

Post by whiggs » Sun May 19, 2019 2:13 am

Beautiful sir. Enabling securenat worked. I didn't want to mess with it since the warning said the settings were only for advanced users, but that did the trick. I word of advice: the softether client manager should be able to accurately report if the client device has successfully connected to the vpn server. Like you correctly guessed, my client device was not obtaining an ip address from the vpn server, yet the client showed the status as connected, making me think that everything was working as it should. There really should be some kind of indicator that there is a problem with the connection, like the windows "limited or no connectivity" icon or something.

verde34

Post by verde34 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:38 pm

I also have this problem and I don't know how to enable securenat. Can you demonstrate how?

ecoast61

Post by ecoast61 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:02 pm

1. Launch "SoftEther VPN Server Manager"
2. Click on "Manage Virtual Hub"
3. Click on "Virtual NAT and Virtual DHCP Server (SecureNAT)"
4. Click on "Enable SecureNAT"

Click on the OK on the warnings and you should be done.