Getting L3 IP Routing connection to work

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dorrsr

Getting L3 IP Routing connection to work

Post by dorrsr » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi
Thanks in advance for your help and assistance with this question.

I am not new to setting up VPN environments, but I am very new to the SoftEther software. I would like to get my home and my cabin connected on a VPN site-to-site tunnel via a Raspberry Pi on each end and SoftEther. In order to do this I have built a prototype environment with 2 routers and 2 Pi's each with the SoftEther VPN Server software loaded. After a bit of work I have figured out how to get LAN segment A (10.1.20.x) on one of the Pi's, to connect and authenticate to LAN segment B (10.1.30.x) and visa versa. I created the appropriate port forwarding rules for 5555 and created a single account for authentication.

The problem I have is the 2 virtual IP addresses I created on the L3 IP Router (one for each LAN segment) do not seem to work. I can't ping them locally (the one that is located on the local segment) and when I tell my router to use those addresses to route to the other LAN segment then I cannot ping any addresses at the remote LAN segment. Also I cant access any web servers on the other segment. It is like those virtual addresses are not working or they do not exist. I made sure they do not conflict with any other addresses. On the router/firewall I have not opened up anything for these virtual addresses, because SoftEther should be routing to each of the segments, and the two LAN segments do connect just fine from a SoftEther cascade connection perspective. It seems like the Raspberry Pi is not really creating those virtual IP addresses or looking for traffic for those addresses.

Any ideas or suggestions?

sky59

Re: Getting L3 IP Routing connection to work

Post by sky59 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:50 am

Only one server. The other must be bridge.
You have to open all 4 ports, from my memory: 443, 5555, 1944udp?,????

First connect Pis directly together with cable LAN and make it work, use local addresses in number formar, it is accepted